Job Title: Individual Consultant (Climate Change)
Location: Home based with travel as required, in INDIA
Organization’s profile: India launched its first ever National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) in June 2008. It seeks to address adaptation and mitigation challenges through eight National Missions: Solar, Enhanced Energy Efficiency, Sustainable Habitat, Water, Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem, Green India, Sustainable Agriculture and Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change. These Missions provide a helpful focus for international collaboration. To be effectively implemented, they require mutually reinforcing policy frameworks and delivery partnerships at the national, state and local levels. There is a good scope for fruitful collaboration with multilateral and bilateral agencies in the design and delivery of India’s broader policy frameworks, including in assisting the Indian Government in incorporating low carbon and inclusive growth into the h Five-Year and annual plans.
In last few years India’s commitment in terms of reducing carbon intensity, building energy security and improving adaptive capacity against the impact of climate change– has developed progressive partnerships with various bilateral and multilateral agencies having similar objectives on tackling climate change. The collaborations have made a big contribution in identifying and addressing critical issues impeding development and slowing progress towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
On climate change, UNDP is working with the Ministry of Environment & Forest (MoEF), Government of India through its various programmes supporting India’s national development objectives. UNDP seeks to undertake a study to support MoEF compile a database of all previous/ ongoing climate change interventions supported by bilateral and multilateral agencies and assess the impacts, outcomes and bring out the learnings from the interventions in India. The study is expected to enhance coordination and synergies.
Overall the study will map and develop comprehensive data base of all completed and ongoing projects/programs supported by bilateral and multilateral agencies on combating climate change in India. These may include
- Adaptation activities: Map and analyze major outcomes and impact of these projects in combating climate change in India i.e extent of adaptive capacity developed in case of activities related to adaptation and amount of emissions reduced for mitigation activities.
- Provide broad learning in terms of building synergies and coordination among the various initiatives led by different agencies.
- Data/Information Collection: The required data and research materials required to carry out the above tasks will be collected by the consultant.
Key deliverables and time frame:
- Submission of the work plan and research framework for this assignment – within 3 consultancy working days from the date of award of work;
- Finalize the work plan after incorporating inputs from UNDP and MoEF – 2 consultancy working days;
- Submission of draft key deliverables as mentioned in point no. 2 of this ToR – within 30 consultancy days after the contract is awarded;
- Submission of final key deliverables as mentioned in point no. 2 of this ToR after incorporating comments from UNDP and MoEF – within 45 consultancy days after the contract is awarded.
- Excellent drafting, documentation and communication skills in English;
- In-depth knowledge of Environmental related issues.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Positive, constructive attitude to work;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience:
Academic Qualification: Master’s Degree in Development studies or Environmental Science with excellent academic record.
- The Consultant must have a proven track record of a minimum 8 years of national/international level experience and expertise on conducting research studies on environmental issues with multilateral and/or bilateral agencies;
- 5 years of experience in the areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation work is desirable;
- Excellent command over English is required;
- Shortlisted consultants may be asked to submit writing samples at later stage.
How to apply: Click on link to apply- http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=40613
Last date for the application: 6th Oct, 2013