Vacancy for the post of Special Project Scientist – Resource Economics at IWMI
Job Title: Special Project Scientist – Resource Economics, International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
Location: Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh
IWMI (International Water Management Institute) seeks applications from Indian nationals, for the position of Special Project Scientist-Resource Economics to be based at ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India. He/she will be a team member of an exciting research project in IWMI, analyzing the Ganges Water Machine (GWM). The project conducts a techno-economic-environmental analyses of the GWM, which envisages holding a part of the mighty monsoon flow of the Ganges tributaries and recharging the surrounding aquifers. It reduces floods and the damages downstream, and increases irrigation and environmental benefits throughout the basin.
Primary responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Synthesize existing literature/collect secondary data to assess the economic impacts of water management interventions and agricultural water use, with a special focus on managed aquifer recharge (MAR) and groundwater irrigation in the Ganga river basin.
- Conduct sample surveys, econometric and economic analyses to assess the socio-economic cost and benefits of the groundwater recharge, and additional water use in surface/groundwater/conjunctive irrigation.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team, including hydrologists and economists.
- Gain a good understanding of water management issues of people in various water management settings, and
- Co-author research papers/policy briefs to publish in journals and disseminate findings.
- Any other tasks assigned, as required.
Candidate Profile / qualifications:
- A PhD degree in Agricultural Economics/Resources economics with at least 3 years of working experience OR Masters in Agricultural Economics/Resources economics with 7 years of work experience.
- Good data management and processing skills in Microsoft Excel or Access. GIS knowledge is an advantage.
- Good analytical skills and learning attitude
- Strong econometric analytical skills, and working experience with SPSS or STATA
- Strong spoken and written English skills, and
- Willingness to travel and work with people from different nationalities.
How to apply:
The position is initially for two years and may be renewed further based on the performance of the candidate and funding availability. Attractive all-inclusive lump sum compensation will be paid to the right candidate. The application should include an up-to-date resume, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including phone & e-mail) of three referees and date of availability. Please send applications by E-Mail stating the job title clearly in the subject column (SPS-Resource Economics, IWMI) to Ms R Navanita, Senior Administrative Officer, IWMI – firstname.lastname@example.org, latest by 15 December 2013. All applications will be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Last date for the application: 15th Dec, 2013
Reference: International Water Management Institute (IWMI)